Interesting People mailing list archives

Not all municipal connectivity is "good"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:01:14 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:25:25 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Subject: Not all municipal connectivity is "good"

I¹m here at http://www.freedom-to-connect.net
<http://www.freedom-to-connect.net/> and after listening to a talk on
municipal connectivity it¹s obvious that while I think of pure connectivity
(IP or below) some people are talking about it in terms of being another
CableCo but more moral and ³for the people².

I¹m strongly in favor of the former but the latter is indeed problematic.

As we discuss these issues we must make a distinction between connectivity
as a basic utility and providing services. It¹s a little more than that
because I¹m advocating an opportunistic approach rather than make expensive
promises.

The competition with incumbents should come from obviating the need for them
to provide common infrastructure but not from trying to replace them as
such. It should be possible for them to continue to offer competitive
content/service unburdened of the need to provide their own facilities.

As with roads some cities will do a better job than others and we can deal
with it the same way.

Bob Frankston http://www.frankston.com <http://www.frankston.com/>

------ End of Forwarded Message