Interesting People mailing list archives

more on any help -- FCC: we don't need no steenkin line sharing

From: Nexus <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:11:16 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: James Seng  <jseng () pobox org sg>
Sent: 30/3/'05,  11:05

http://james.seng.sg/archives/2005/03/26/naked_dsl_dilemma.html

I have been thinking about Naked DSL ever since the story about FCC is
about to grant Bellsouth naked DSL petition broke a few days ago. And
of course, the subsequent suspension of various states decision by FCC.

Most propongates of IP Telephony considered Naked DSL as absolutely
neccessary to get VoIP adoption. Afterall, why bother with VoIP if you
are forced to take up POTS before you can have your DSL to get IP
Telephony. From that perspective, the decision to have Naked DSL is
fairly simple one - no way we should grant Bellsouth petition.

But that's coming from an evangelism point of view, one that may not
convience many people who do not share the vision of IP Telephony. I
shall give an alternative perspective why Bellsouth petition is
dangerous. My argument is based on two assumptions:

1) First assumption is we believe in Free Market (and I absolutely do
believe in Free Market). Free Market means we allow a competitive
market to sort out the winners and losers. In this argument, we should
allow Bellsouth to makes it own business decision to offer Naked DSL or
not, excuses or not. They may choose to offer naked DSL like Qwest or
they may not. If they didn't then competitions like cable who does not
bundled with POTS may be more attractive to consumers, and Bellsouth
will lose market share.

2) Second assumption is we believe that monopoly (regardless natural or
coercive) have to be regulated (or deal with by other means, e.g.
antitrust) to ensure general public interests are not been abused by
the monopoly. In this regard, Bellsouth petition should not be granted
in areas where Bellsouth is a monopoly without alternative
competitions. It wouldn't be a competitive market if there is no
competitions, would it?

Following these two assumptions, Bellsouth petition to pre-empt PUCs
from mandating it to provide Naked DSL should not be granted by FCC.
Instead, PUCs are in a better position to judge if Bellsouth odd to be
regulated or to be allowed compete freely because siutations are
different in different part of US.

While I like the concept of naked DSL, I think the decision to mandate
Naked DSL or not would differ from places to places - ie, it is not a
uniform yes or no. (Regardless how much I like IP Telephony, I believe
in Free Market even more.)

But it is even harder in the context of Singapore, where only 1 in 5
broadband users are on cable, a market with choices but not quite
competitive. Should we mandate Singtel Magix1 to provide Naked DSL
because they are a market monopoly or should we let the market forces
works itself out. For that, I am still thinking...

ps: Please note the disclaimer below : I do not speak for IDA here in
this blog.

1 Singtel Magix is the sole DSL provider in Singapore. Everyone who
provides DSL like Singnet or Pacnet is a reseller of Singtel Magix.

-James Seng