Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Salon article describing how the 2nd Amendment trumps the War of Terror

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:26:13 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: joe mcguckin <joe () via net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:38:40 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Salon article describing how the 2nd Amendment trumps the
War of Terror

(For IP)

Dave,

This article seems to be a bunch of alarmist propaganda from the Brady
folks.

1) As much as I disagree with the current ID requirements and no-fly lists,
   I would point out that the government is imposing roughly the same
   restrictions on commercial travel that are currently imposed on gun
   purchases. Buying a gun is a constitutionally protected activity that
   already requires one to identify oneself and submit to a background
   check. (I don't recall having to identify myself and pass a background
   check in order to exercise any other constitutional right.) The
   government's theory is that using commercial transportation is
   not a constitutional right and therefore that activity may be restricted
   based upon a mere suspicion.

2) The Brady report plays fast and loose with the definition of a
   'terrorist'. In the Brady report, those on the watch lists are routinely
    referred to as 'terrorists'. John Ashcroft would be proud.

3) If one really believes this article has something valid to say, then the
   answer is what - to circumscribe or eliminate even more constitutional
   rights? Where do we draw the line? Do we preserve just the popular
   constitutional liberties? I like them all, but it's quite obvious that
   many people in the government don't like the 5th amendment, law
   enforcement isn't fond of the 4'th amendment. Shall we simply eliminate
   the unpopular ones?

------ End of Forwarded Message