Interesting People mailing list archives

ext fight "Indecency" rules must apply to cable, satellite, senator insists [fs]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:11:54 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:52:34 -0600
To: <politech () politechbot com>
Subject: [Politech] "Indecency" rules must apply to cable, satellite,
senator insists [fs]

Michael Powell's contrasting views are here:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/01/07/no-fcc-censorship/

If cable and satellite must comply, why not the Internet as well?
After all, convergence is real, and a lead story in today's WSJ
describes how Yahoo is positioning itself as a kind of traditional
entertainment company. Ted Stevens probably won't pay politically if
he chooses to take his argument to the next "logical" conclusion --
and test whether the Supreme Court has changed its mind in the decade
since ACLU v. Reno.

-Declan

---

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/01/technology/satellite_decency.reut/index.htm

Senator fights cable 'indecency'
Alaska's Stevens says he'll push to apply public broadcast standards
to satellite, too.
March 1, 2005: 11:04 AM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted
Stevens said Tuesday he would push to apply broadcast decency
standards to subscription television and radio services like cable and
satellite.

"Cable is a much greater violator in the indecency area," the Alaska
Republican told the National Association of Broadcasters, which
represents most local television affiliates. "I think we have the same
power to deal with cable as over-the-air" broadcasters. "There has to
be some standard of decency," he said.

[...remainder snipped...]

------ End of Forwarded Message