Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC to dress 'naked DSL'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:27:55 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: <EEkid () aol com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:57:46 -0500 (EST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC to dress 'naked DSL'

Use as you see fit.

Verizon's Bizarre DSL Policy

Mr. Farber,

The Naked DSL article strikes home. At my previous address, I was a charter
AOL DSL
subscriber and only paid $19 per month for my DSL service.  About three
years ago, I moved to Millersville Maryland. My new address doesn't have
cable access.  Immediately we discovered that even though we were only 5
miles away of all of our family members,
to the north and east, all of our phone calls were long distance.  I asked
Verizon if there was something that could be done to correct this.  They
said yes and issued a new "foreign" exchange.  This allowed us to
communicate with local family without having huge long distance bills.  Our
basic phone service jumped to $59 dollars per month.  I contacted AOL to
have the DSL switched over to our new address.  We live less than a mile
from the office so there's no problem with the cable run distance.  When the
DSL failed to be connected, AOL said Verizon wouldn't allow it.  I contacted
Verizon and a helpful customer service rep told me that there is no reason
why we couldn't have DSL.  So she made an inquiry into why we weren't being
allowed to have DSL.  A week later, I contacted Verizon again and was told
that again there's no reason we can't have DSL.  The rep then did a three
way call with the Baltimore office.  She explained that I had a foreign
exchange and that I wanted DSL.  The person in the Baltimore office said "we
don't do that".  She then said "But, the foreign exchange and the DSL come
from the same office and it's only 2000 feet from his home.  The company rep
in Baltimore then shouted into the phone "WE DON'T DO THAT".

So, we were not allowed to have DSL.  We had to give up my charter DSL
subscription with AOL and do without broadband.

Then about 4 months ago, we saw an advertisement for COVAD DSL.  We called
COVAD and they promptly had DSL service connected to our home.  I now pay
$29 for 900k bps DSL.  I would very much love to get rid of the $59 phone
bill and replace it with VoIP.

I spoke to a friend who works for Verizon.  I explained that Verizon would
not sell me DSL service but they will allow another company to sell me DSL
service using Verizon's equipment.  He laughed and said that he has seen the
scenario before and that Verizon is losing a fortune in DSL sales because of
this short sighted policy.

Mr. Farber, this is bizarre.  If at some point, legislation no longer
requires Verizon to allow COVAD to sell me DSL via their system.  I will
have to do without broadband and the possibility of lowering my phone bill
from $59 per month to $14. That is until I cut down enough trees to setup a
satellite internet dish.

Jerry

In a message dated 3/21/2005 7:09:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,