Interesting People mailing list archives

AOL taking AIM beyond the pale - No Privacy At All

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:13:33 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Reese Howell <reese () inkworkswell com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:08:14 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: AOL taking AIM beyond the pale - No Privacy At All

Hello Dave,

I have never used the AOL instant messaging client, I've never wanted
to and with this latest event, it is extremely unlikely that I ever
will.

A careful reading of the latest Terms of Service (TOS) contract reveals:

"...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent,
affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable,
perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute,
adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to
privacy."

http://www.aim.com/tos/tos.adp

AOL has made itself the black plague of messaging clients in my opinion,
I'll certainly be pressuring my friends who use it to stop.

Reese

-

Ink Works
http://www.inkworkswell.com