Interesting People mailing list archives

2nd price increase in a month

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:06:23 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:21:56 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: 2nd price increase in a month

Apparently we don¹t have to wait forever to see if killing PSTN competition
will result in higher PSTN prices (for those of us who were in doubt):

I have the $29.95 year contract (I never saw it or signed it) and one month
later was hit with the 11% increase.  Apparently the 1 year contract does
not include a price guarantee for the client, a first for one year
contracts, I imagine. But to be fair, I never saw the contract. Also,
apparently the cost to not advertise the useless phone that I have with them
is going up (another piece of bad news).  It costs more to NOT list a number
than it costs to have them list your number.  If there truly is a cost to
them to not list your number I have to wonder if it is based on the number
of people in charge of not listing your number, the number of books it is
not listed in, etc.

I wonder if they will come up with a charge for NOT sending me to Bermuda
for my vacationŠ And a charge for NOT sending me to see the Broadway show of
my choiceŠ Or do the NOTs have to have something to do with things they
could in the normal course of events DO?

The NOT WORLD is a tricky place.

 = = =

Verizon Communications on Friday confirmed it will raise the price
of its DSL subscriptions for month-to-month users by $3 to drive
customers toward cheaper one-year contracts.

http://tinyurl.com/4nltu

Beginning March 22, the nation's largest phone company said it will
increase prices for its non-binding subscribers from $34.95 a month
to $37.95. Verizon said the bump is meant to persuade monthly
customers to commit to its one-year plan, which costs $29.95 but
penalizes subscribers for canceling prematurely.

Verizon gives the monthly customers the $29.95 rate only if they
subscribe to the company's unlimited local and long-distance phone
plan--$44.95 to $59.95 per month, depending on the state--or the
unlimited local package, ranging from $21.95 to $32.95.

"There are pressures on margins from Wall Street that they
continually face," said Patrick Mahoney, an analyst at market
research firm The Yankee Group. "As broadband growth steadies, they
need to show continually increased revenues."

The increase comes soon after Verizon raised DSL by up to 11
percent in some regions, citing a "tax recovery fee." The increases
would only be in effect until the Internet Tax Nondiscrimination Act
goes into effect this November.

Robert Lee

------ End of Forwarded Message