Interesting People mailing list archives

more on comments "1984" has arrived! DHS demanding on site acccess to email accounts of selected incoming aliens

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:42:58 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Kevin Murphy <kmurphy () datamonitor com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:38:08 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] comments "1984" has arrived! DHS demanding on site acccess
to email accounts of selected incoming aliens

I find this very difficult to believe.

How many people can remember the hostname, IP address or URL used to access
their email, without the benefit of bookmarks or an preconfigured mail
client? How many can even remember their password? For most people, their
account and client would be set up by their employer or their ISP. They boot
up Outlook and it just works. I know I couldn't provide this information,
particularly after a long-haul flight, nicotine withdrawal, and standing in
line at passport control for an hour.

And how would DHS know what email accounts you have, anyway?

Kevin Murphy

US Bureau Chief
ComputerWire
San Francisco, CA 94103