Interesting People mailing list archives

more on MIT says it won't admit hackers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:13:32 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:56:30 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on MIT says it won't admit hackers

Dear Dave;

It seems to me that regardless of the circumstances, American schools have
enough problems already without cutting out some of their best prospective
products!

Most "hackers" regardless of their field, are very bright and highly skilled
individuals who hold incredible potential for society as a whole. How many
modern products (mainstream!) can be said to have been derived from a hacker
mentality? Let's start with Apple and Blackberry and go from there.

US schools are already slipping in the global rankings due to post 911
policy - telling hackers that they aren't welcome just means that those
hackers won't come! And potentially worse, will have much less motivation to
realise their potential within an American environment that obviously
doesn't appreciate them.

There are better ways of dealing with these issues; in a sense, the hacker
provides a public service in exposing weakness. Obviously there should be
legal consequences for malicious or harmful activity, but academic censure
does nothing to abate the acts, and does a lot of damage to the institutions
themselves.

If I were presiding over an institution such as MIT, I would be encouraging
hackers to play and report their findings - even give credits! Better an
environment of play and co-opetition, than one of repression and
significantly higher vulnerability.

When hacking is outlawed, only outlaws will hack - and without hacking
skills being encouraged and nurtured in our universities, where will the
skills come from to protect us from the outlaws?

Regards,

Marc Aniballi