Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Identity Theft for Dummies"?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:44:14 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:26:37 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Randall' <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Subject: RE: [IP] "Identity Theft for Dummies"?

How stupid can society be -- if all it takes is a {name, phone, ss#} to
steal someone's identity then we're fucked (oops, there goes $500,000).

It's perimeter security all over again -- why does it take so little
information to "steal an identity" and why is it so hard to correct such
problems? Those are the important questions -- it's not so much making sure
we've closed ever last barn door -- it's what to do with the horses running
about.

We keep running into these problems -- we've had naïve garage door designs
that created an easy entry to homes, connecting vulnerable PCs etc

We're still learning that we can't rely on simple perimeters. But at the
same time we have to have some trust and discretion but more important, we
need the ability to make mistakes and survive them.

In a sense this is also Y2K -- assuming everything is brittle.

In this case it is necessary to understand identity theft rather than
assuring that these magic names can never be discovered except by those
keying the information in from all those forms while in prison.

It'd be a shame if we could never find old friends again. How long before
road maps salted with incorrect information to assure they can't be misused
for purposes other than -- I don't know, what is the "proper" purpose?