Interesting People mailing list archives

Why the Intel switch is bad

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:07:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Santi Alonso <santi () honeymelon org>
Date: June 6, 2005 6:08:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Why the Intel switch is bad
From: http://angelusfade.spymac.com/blog/

The reasons why this is bad:

- x86 is a technology from the 70s. Yes they made large steps forward using new technology and incorporating this into new Processors. But at its inner core the processor is still 16bit, bored once (starting with the i386SX) to 32 bit and now again with AMD64 or E64MT to 64- bit. The whole Pnetium Processor range including AMDs are big chunk of patchwork around a crappy 16bit processor. (actually the patchwork is 95% of the processor nowadays and the original processor is barely there but it still is). Sure they prolly can push this forward and forward with even more patchwork... looks to be fun.

- Altivec is one of the best vector engines which made the Cell processor possible. It is way beyond anything SSE2 can do on Intel.

- The PowerPC design was 64-bit from the beginning, they saw the time was not right and downtuned it, but with the G5 they just had to pull the "64-bit" switch and transition was seemless. The G5 uses 1/4th of the transistors of a P4, giving it much more room for future growth. Derived from the Power Processors, which are without any doubt the best server processors one can buy, this architecture could have blown away in a year or two, if IBM would be able to produce chips derived from the Power5 and Power6, which are looking to be the best CPUs ever made.

- Though Cell technology is nothing for a consumer PC, some of the technologies used in this processor blow my mind. IBM already announced parts of this design will go towards the Power family of chips, if this would have been directed also to the PowerPC lines, imagine what would have been possible.

- Every single Company that has the oportunity to start with a fresh design (mainly gaming consoles but also many embedded) are going for a PowerPC design. Not only is the design more promising for the future, it is simply better than tuned up 70s technology.

- No matter what "the Steve" says: The switch when we had to transit from 68k to PPC did hurt. I had one of the last "quadras", it was a good machine, but there were only a few to distribute fat binaries and I had to buy a new machine sooner than I wanted to keep stuff.

- No matter what "the Steve" says: The transition from OS 9 to OS X did hurt. Yes I agree that OS X is by far better and that it was necessary as OS 9 was outdated technology. But it was a hard time and there are still things from OS 9 that I miss in OS X. The good side on this was: They went with the best available technology. Mach undoubtly being one of the best kernel architectures, FreeBSD being one of the most secure and best Unix systems available... This is just not the fact with Intel. Yes they are currently making quite fast processors (not that much faster than my G5 I think or was all that Steve told me crap?), but they do it by pressing the last juice out of outdated technology.

- The BIOS issue. Yes I know Apple can still use theoretically OpenBoot and stull like that. But some of the smart things Apple did was use special hardware that was not that PC market stuff but there are problems that arise... If they use PC stuff they will be up to the same level in speed than current PCs, having the same problems as you have in Wintel machines today, not the OS, but some parts have such a short time to market, that problems have to occur. As seen in various chipsets and so on, many problems the Wintel crowd blames MS for are actually hardware issues. Or Apple could go with "we only use premium", but then they will be a tad behing the crowd. Or the 3rd choice they become Alienware 2.0 and for using handselected measured chipsets they have to cut down other things to a point where the things prolly work due to selected hardware but if not you are in for a whole hell off support pain, still you would have faster things on hand-build Wintel PCs.

- The NeXT thing: Fat binaries anyone? Yay now they named them "universal" binaries. Who the hell wants them? I can see many many developers that stick with the Mac go "Uh that thing may be universal but it sure is fat, avtually twice as big as it needs to be... Hey all geeks should go Intel anyway I skip the PPC compile..." Same thing happened when we switched from 68k to PPC, most fat binaries were shareware from devoted fans, first were games to skip the old CPU (Apple still sold 68k Macs when Command and Conquer came out only for PPC), then there was Adobe and the rest of the crowd. I bet Adobe CS3 next year will run on Mactel, but fat binary? I doubt that, the CS products are fat enough as it is.

And there are even more reasons but I am to upset and need to go sulk in a corner.

Yes maybe in 3-4 years the whole thing will settle and Intel will again own the whole PC (Wintel and Mactel) market and the PowerPC will be history. It will be a sad day then, but one thing is for sure: I will rather go and buy an Alienware Laptop to replace my dated PowerBook than buy an Apple for the next 3 years. Maybe I will buy a Mac again someday, but for the time being I am switched, back to an Intel Notebook prolly running Linux.