Interesting People mailing list archives

E911 with no Opt Out?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:31:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 6, 2005 12:14:41 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: E911 with no Opt Out?

According to the latest FCC release

“Begin maintaining a “Registered Location” for every customer – no opt-out allowed –that may be modified by consumers by multiple means, including use of the telephone;“

I wonder what this means. Also what does it mean to attempt to impose E911 on Skype-Out. All of this assumes there is a physical device called a “telephone”. It’s as if we attempted to regulate email by requiring stickers on “e-mail-boxes”.

Perhaps it’s like the attempts to pass laws requiring having someone walk along with every automobile warning horses to get out of the way.

Bob Frankston http://www.frankston.com