Interesting People mailing list archives

more on the man has a point here .. Jim Babka: A lesson from the Real ID Act

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 19:44:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>
Date: June 4, 2005 6:06:39 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () olteco com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Jim Babka: A lesson from the Real ID Act

Are we to believe that the provisions of the "Patriot" act will not also be applied to those unpatriotic souls who do not turn in their neighbors, share
a joint with an underage friend, etc.

On a related topic, isn't it strange that the same people who are protecting us from terrorists (they never use fake ID do they) who might fly over the US (let alone dare to land here) and who act diligently to keep these same individuals from bringing their terrorist weapons to our shores; cannot, for some reason, stop the flow of illegal aliens and drugs into our country or
the ready availability of a broad range of weapons from our streets.

If someone can walk across the border to find work, and someone else can
bring in drugs by the ton, why would any terrorist try to bring terrorist
weapons into the US via a scheduled air flight.

Richard