Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Can you prove that you were on a flight?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:50:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stewart, William C (Bill), RTSCG" <billstewart () att com>
Date: June 28, 2005 5:20:56 AM EDT
To: Eszter Hargittai <eszter.hargittai.062705 () eszter com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Can you prove that you were on a flight?

From: Eszter Hargittai <eszter.hargittai.062705 () eszter com>

I wonder if any other IPers have experienced something similar before

and if anyone has suggestions as to what one can do about such a

situation.

The basic policy is pretty standard for most US airlines -
if you don't show up for one leg of a flight, especially the first one,
and don't contact them to change your itinerary, they'll cancel the
rest,
which lets the sell your seats to somebody else.
Normally, "show up" means "check in", though as the agent implied,
home printouts of boarding passes does change some of the assumptions
that some carrier's rigid bureaucratic policies depend on
(as well as making the Homeland Security ID-checking totally
ineffective.)
In particular, it can mean you don't get a stub with your seat number
which the flight attendants can use to point you to your seat
and which you can use to resolve normal issues like forgotten
frequent-flyer numbers.

Not counting you when you boarded the plane isn't supposed to happen,
but hey, people make mistakes when they get busy and confused.
It hasn't happen to me, but I'd expect to have the policy enforced
and have to spend a while dealing with customer service to get it fixed
if the computer cancelled my itinerary.

Having rude customer service agents isn't supposed to happen either.
That's one reason they have supervisors....

            Bill Stewart