Interesting People mailing list archives

SiliconValley.com - Good Morning Silicon Valley

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:40:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

String and a Dixie cup? What kind of self-install kit is this? The cable and telecom industries have good reason to celebrate today, now that the Supreme Court has give cable them a duopoly on the high- speed Internet market. In a 6-3 decision, the court overturned a federal court decision that would have forced cable companies to share their infrastructure with competing Internet service providers. In doing so, the court upheld the decision of the Federal Communications Commission that broadband cable modem companies are exempt from mandatory common-carrier regulation. Public Knowledge president Gigi Sohn was quick to fire back. "The court's decision today raises the question of whether Congress, in tackling its next revision of the Telecommunications Act, should act to ensure that communications, content, and applications are allowed to pass freely over the Internet's broadband pipes," Sohn said. "We believe Congress should do so, because 'net neutrality' is a worthy goal that not only will promote free speech and creativity on the Internet, but also will benefit those who provide broadband connectivity by making that connectivity more valuable." Other ISPs, left in the cold by the ruling, saw dark days ahead. "I think it will have a lot of negative fallout in other areas," said Jim Pickrell, president of Brand X Internet. "Next thing you're going to get the phone companies saying, 'If the cable companies don't have to sell transit over their networks, why do we?' " If that happens, Pickrell doesn't see a future for his business, or for others like it. "Virtually everyone that I know that is in the Internet service over the last few years has closed, and those that haven't probably will. If you don't have any right to interconnect, if you don't have access to lines, than how are you going to run an Internet service? What are you going to do, get some string and Dixie cups?"