Interesting People mailing list archives

eminent domain

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:27:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: gjones () ScottStringfellow com
Date: June 27, 2005 8:14:23 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: eminent domain

Sorry to continue to beat this dead horse.

Folks seem to have lost track of the bigger picture.  Since we, as a
society, have decided that the public sector is not the most efficient
way to do many things we have relied on the emergence of the
"public-private" partnership.  This is the way that most new roads are
being looked at and almost every redevelopment project is done.  (There
is even a project being developed in Portsmouth, Virginia, that will, in
my quick review, basically give the developer taxing authority to
provide for the infrastructure development that the municipality is
unable to provide.)  The private sector has been given the
responsibility by the citizens that once lay with the public sector.
Voters and politicians have deeply embraced this idea.  It only follows
that the laws would have to change to reflect this new reality.  You
will have to allow the private developer the ability to act as a proxy
for the public sector if you want them to do a public sector job.  Don't
forget that we employ private contractors to fight wars.

If we are going to go crazy over the ruling, then we need to reevaluate
the public-private partnership and return many duties back to the public
sector.  But it seems to me that the folks that are screaming the most
are those that most deeply embrace the idea of a much smaller public
sector with a greatly expanded role of the private sector.

Scott & Stringfellow, Inc. is a wholly-owned non-bank subsidiary of BB&T Corporation.
THE SECURITIES SOLD, OFFERED OR RECOMMENDED BY SCOTT & STRINGFELLOW,
INC. ARE NOT A DEPOSIT, NOT FDIC INSURED, NOT GUARANTEED BY THE BANK, NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY AND MAY GO DOWN IN VALUE.