Interesting People mailing list archives

Bank of America vs security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:28:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 22, 2005 12:40:17 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Bank of America vs security

I’m in the middle of redoing my screen scraping now that Bank of America is forcing Fleet’s Homelink users to convert to their new online banking service. I scrape because the data is mine and they make the information available for only al limited time and only while the particular account is open. That’s a big issue in its own right – at least with paper statements and printed checks people can set the own retention policy but that’s not my main problem at the moment.

As an aside, looking their site itself they seem to have lots of home brew Jscript code and I’ve found their seem to have trouble maintaining their DNS entries so their redirects can behave badly. Again, a separate topic.

I’m more concerned with a strange letter I got. It was sent in the clear, of course, because no one seems to care enough to do even simple encryption – while I don’t blame CALEA it’s a reminder that policies that allow the FBI to spy on us make it even easier for third parties to do so.

The letter was in response to my attempt to setup online transfers. It’s the usual thing, emailing me a letter asking me to type back a one-time code to their site to verify that my email address is valid and that I approve the transfer. Everything went smoothly but I decided to look at the received fields in the envelope of the letter (vs the header) and found it to be a bit strange:

Here’s the header (with my email address and such information replaced by *’s) [you really need HTML to understand this – again, another topic …]

x-sender: bankofamericatransfer () transfers bankofamerica com

x-receiver: **MyUser**@**MySite**

       Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:44:45 -0400

by pula.cashedge.com (8.11.6+Sun/8.10.2) with ESMTP id j5KKiie25797

for <**MyUser**@**MySite**>; Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:44:44 -0700 (PDT)