Interesting People mailing list archives

more on don't take high-quality photos....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:26:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kala Pierson <k () unfurl org>
Date: June 17, 2005 7:33:58 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] don't take high-quality photos....

The same thing actually happened in music about 12 years ago. In the early 90s, like a lot of other young composers, I started using a new software program that, with some effort, would produce musical scores that looked like they'd been engraved by a publisher. A number of Kinko's branches refused to copy and bind my scores, because I couldn't produce written permission from a publisher that didn't exist (or from a composer they wouldn't believe was me).

By 1995/96, every urban Kinko's employee had seen enough of these scores to know what was going on. Hopefully the same thing will happen with photo developers, as the technical level of amateur media production keeps improving via new technologies...

Kala