Interesting People mailing list archives

More on Jobs'commencement address: The deleted fourth story

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:27:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Taylor <R.W.Taylor () comcast net>
Date: June 16, 2005 9:10:14 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: More on Jobs'commencement address: The deleted fourth story

(Hi Dave.  Please forgive me it this is a duplicate.)

In a recent note to IP, Paul Andrews' assessment of Jobs as a person seems to ring true. Here is a portion of Jobs' revisionist treacle referred to by Paul:

From Steve Jobs' Stanford Commencement Speech (June of '05) "It (the Macintosh) was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that (calligraphy) course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts, and since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them." This is simply a further manifestation of Jobs' already infamous "reality distortion field".

Windows did not copy the Mac: they both borrowed their look and feel from the Alto system. In the late 70s, several years before the Mac, Alto systems (Altos, Ethernet, Dover laser printers, file servers, print servers, mail servers) were donated to the computer science departments of Stanford, MIT, and CMU. Students from those departments at that time can testify that the Alto had multiple typefaces and proportionally spaced fonts.

     rwt