Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ICANN's "ex-ex-ex" domains and the slippery slope (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:05:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: June 3, 2005 8:42:16 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on ICANN's "ex-ex-ex" domains and the slippery slope (fwd)

I hear what Joichi is saying and I have a lot of respect for him,
but it seems that after such a long lull in expansion, leading
off with ex-ex-ex is a rather strange place to start.  And,
while a mix of child advocacy and pornography experts on one board
of directors must have required some real strong talking by somebody, I
do have to wonder if that is the most functional board structure one
can find.

My biggest problem with the current ICANN policies on TLDs is that
they have created a very small oligarchy of TLD registries with
very high barriers to entry.  That market structure does not match
the realities of the registration process: this isn't rocket science
and domain names shouldn't be a $1b+/year industry.

Regards,

Carl

===== Forwarded message from Joichi Ito <jito () neoteny com> =====