Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Update: Sony PSP Exploit Apparently Confirmed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:59:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Johan Ovlinger <johan () ccs neu edu>
Date: June 15, 2005 4:28:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Update: Sony PSP Exploit Apparently Confirmed

Dave, For IP, if you wish

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

So Sony is indeed faced with a problem -- and perhaps an
opportunity -- depending upon how they react to these developments.

Alas, Sony doesn't exactly have a good track record on turning groundswell to their benefit. The aphorism (not of my coining) "turning an opportunity into a liablility", comes to mind.

Both Betamax and Minidisc were great technologies that were effectively smothered to death by Sony's fear of losing control of them. While Sony management is slowly realising that this may be a counter-productive stance, I doubt their coporate culture can change that quickly. For example, when their recent portable players were able to play plain mp3 files, this was seen as a major step forward.

Best

Johan