Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Using psychiatric neuroimaging in interrogations: permissible or not? [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:27:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <btm () templetons com>
Date: June 14, 2005 2:48:59 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: seankthompson () gmail com, declan () well com
Subject: Re: [IP] Using psychiatric neuroimaging in interrogations: permissible or not? [priv]

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 04:37:41AM -0400, David Farber wrote:

readers on Politech.  In it, I examine the legality of apply new
brain-scanning technologies like functional MRI in the interrogation
of individuals the US has detained in the war on terror.  It might be

Well, I do know one thing that will probably result from this.
People who have fear they might be subject to MRI based interrogation
will probably arrange to have tiny pieces of metal implanted in their
bodies.  (Terrorists are good at that, after all...)  It will become
a rite of passange.

The interrogators could perform surgery to remove the metal, but this
is surely a physically invasive procedure and changes the analysis
of the paper.

Indeed, if fMRI became a common interrogative technique for civilian
matters, ordinary people might start doing this.  They could voluntarily
consent to removal of the metal if they needed an MRI.  But it would
make it harder to travel on planes.