Interesting People mailing list archives

OS X for Intel Hoax

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:06:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Irwin Lazar <ILazar () burtongroup com>
Date: June 14, 2005 2:02:35 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: OS X for Intel Hoax

For IP if you wish (please remove my name):

-- From the Cult of Mac blog:
http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1132768

OS X for Intel on File Sharing Nets a Hoax

There are several reports that the developer's release of Mac OS X for Intel
has already found its way onto file-sharing networks -- sparking
considerable excitement and some whacked out theorizing -- but the main file
circulating on Sunday is nothing but a cruel hoax. Downloaded via
BitTorrent, the 956.5-Mbyte file called Mac.OS.X.Tiger.X86.READNFO- XISO is a phony. Opened with a hex editor, the file contains nothing but the letters
"GNAA" repeated over and over. GNAA, according to Wikipedia, is "a
self-aggrandizing Internet troll organization that primarily targets
Internet communities in an effort to disrupt their normal activities and
annoy their users." Mac.OS.X.Tiger.X86.READNFO-XISO appears to the main file
circulating on BitTorrent, and may have been seeded under a couple of
different names, including [isoHunt]
Mac.OS.X.Tiger.X86.READNFO-XISO.3343842.TPB.torrent.

Hilarious Update: Unlike me, Slashdot poster Bob Vila downloaded all the
.RAR files, stitched them together and burned them onto a DVD. When he tried to boot his machine, it displayed a "very lovely"goatse image, he reports.
Cult of Mac 6/13/05 3:40 PM Comments