Interesting People mailing list archives

MORE ON Google feature on today's Public Radio "Marketplace" program

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:36:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Date: June 11, 2005 12:49:55 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Google feature on today's Public Radio "Marketplace" program

Dave - For IP -

Lauren wrote:

A short feature on today's "Marketplace" -- broadcast widely on public
radio -- discusses concerns over Google's handling of the Usenet
archives and other matters regarding Google operations.

It can be played via:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2005/06/10/PM200506102.html

On the program they made the statement that google owns the copyright to all our Usenet posts. This is a serious misrepresentation of the copyright law.

Under the Berne Convention which the US signed in 1989, the creator
of a work owns the copyright. Google does not own it.

Google should be indicating that they respect this with the Usenet
archive posts. They don't. Instead they put a (c) Google 2005 after
the post.  They do *not* own our Usenet posts. For them to claim
they do is irresponsible and a violation of the copyright of those
who have written the posts.

I tried to comment in the marketplace comment section but don't know if this will actually get to them.

For more background on this see:

             Culture Clash
                  The Google Purchase of the 1995-+2001
                  Usenet Archive And the Online Community
               http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/7/7013/1.html

I have tried to bring this problem to the attention of those at
Google, but the effort has been useless.

with best wishes

Ronda

ronda () panix com

P.S. A journal article I wrote about the problems with Google is online
at http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/usenetstts.pdf