Interesting People mailing list archives

It must be a secret

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:34:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>
Date: June 10, 2005 11:54:32 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: It must be a secret

I think there's a propensity for employees to believe their company's stuff is secret even when it's manifestly obviously it isn't and can't be. About forty years ago, a friend and I walked into a Western Union office and asked for a copy of the Morse code. (A friend of my friend had sent him a message encoded in Morse code; it was their form of fun.) The clerk in the Western Union office responded it was company proprietary and he wouldn't share it with us.

This is all annoying and we need do indeed need to challenge it, but I also think it will pass in time.

Steve