Interesting People mailing list archives

more on E911 with no Opt Out?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:26:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: June 7, 2005 1:30:24 AM EDT
To: 'Bob Frankston' <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, 'Bob Frankston' <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on E911 with no Opt Out?

My argument is not about how it is funded or the rigid protocols surrounding E911. Those have to do with specifics of delivery which I acknowledge need
improvement.

The central theme of my message is that non-wired communications have a
difficulty in providing precise location information to emergency
responders.  This information is no longer an optional piece of data in
delivery of emergency service.  The reality of the situation is that
non-traditional communications services must solve this problem and time is
running out for them to do so.

Beyond the regulations that may be enacted to require it, other market
pressures will force them to solve it. In Philadelphia, a lawsuit was filed challenging that a slow response time to a patient resulted in their death. Those of us in EMS have been expecting a lawsuit such as this for some time. As medical field care has improved, more and more illness can treated with
fast response.  Some strokes which years ago were simply observed can be
treated if a person reaches a medical facility within the first three hours. Slow response is moving into the realm of malpractice. Similar issues have developed for police and fire. Emergency services have responded by doing what we do well: documenting. Several years ago, we started noting on our patient care reports "factors affecting care". Poor location information is
a common culprit and is being well-documented.

So to me, the need to solve the location issue with wireless communications
is inevitable.  If the regulators don't solve it and the companies
themselves don't solve it, it will only be a matter of time before the
courts will.  Someone will file a lawsuit challenging Skpe's failure to
provide a good location lead to a treatable medical problem going untreated.
E911 may not be the answer but it is a liability to wireless because it
exists and has set that bar such that location information is a requirement.