Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Von Mag: Funding USF through Broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 06:40:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 6, 2005 11:05:35 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Frank A. Coluccio'" <frank () coluccio net>, 'Doug Mohney' <dmohney () vonmag com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Von Mag: Funding USF through Broadband

I keep comparing these proposals with taxing yellow paint to help corn farmers. It’s just a scam to avoid transparent funding.

The growth of wireless ISPs is already ahead of "schedule". As Ben Campaine has pointed out, "rural" is not the same as "impoverished". Providing access to those in cities is often more of a problem and it’s as much about awareness as cost.

I’ve suggested to one highly visible advocate that the rural users who want connectivity should seize their phone wires and repurpose them as high speed data paths by simply putting up cheap DSL regenerators every mile or so – a picture of them charging the poles with pitch forks or maybe shotguns would be a wonderful photo-op. It’s the robber barons all over again. Why tolerate wasting copper pairs which can support gigabits (when aggregated and regenerated) to be wasted carrying phone calls. It’s a DIY problem and the USF only guarantees that everyone is gouged – the taxed and those who get the funds that are only allowed to be used to buy overpriced services with low capacity.

I keep thinking of who should be sharing a room with Bernie Ebbers …

As I pointed out in my VON column http://www.frankston.com/? Name=VONConnectivityUtility costs can be reduced by sharing access but that takes understanding and the USF locks myths into legislation and thwarts progress. Why “punish” broadband users?

If you follow the shared access model the real problem is that we still treating the Internet as if it were television channel with billable services. It’s really a utility.

I have to keep emphasizing that this is same municipal cable TV – it is just access with anyone allowed to provide services. Early municipal electric companies were formed as light companies but people soon realized they just wanted electricity and not depend on the city for light bulbs.