Interesting People mailing list archives

more on any info more on looks like IP may suffer also

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:13:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: July 5, 2005 9:51:07 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] any info more on looks like IP may suffer also

So why not host such lists overseas, or from a country without such goofy
and broadly-written tech laws? (Assuming this one gets enacted as is, of
course.) That seems to be the immediate solution if for some reason this
law got passed as it reads now.

However, I doubt the Secret Service and state Ags would take this bill as
written....every Tom, Dick, Dave, Declan, and Rick potentially would be
calling them to report things.  Not like their resources are in complete
abundance for this, you know.  :)

One question I've not seen yet, though -- what about folks running mailing
lists hosted by ISP or web companies instead of on servers they own
themselves?   Eg, if INFOWARRIOR-L was hosted at Earthlink on a shared
server, is it Earthlink's job to report a data breach to ME to relay to my users, or is it MY job to report it to my users? Where does the burden of effort (labor or financial) lie here? IIRC the proposed law doesn't make
that clear.

The draft bill is a decent first step, but leaves MANY unanswered questions
and as someone else said earlier, creates more problems for legitimate
users/companies than it solves.

-rick
Infowarrior.org