Interesting People mailing list archives

More on google v. Microsoft

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:57:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joab Jackson <jjackson () postnewsweektech com>
Date: July 26, 2005 3:26:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] More on google v. Microsoft

Dave,

For several years now, Microsoft has run the TerraServer
(http://terraserver.microsoft.com/) which hosts satellite maps of the
U.S. that were generated by the US Geological Survey. I suspect
Microsoft is using those photos for its own service, and, since these
are in the public domain, so is Google. I don't know what other sources
they would be using, but the fact that there is some overlap is not
surprising.

joab

----
Joab Jackson, Staff Writer