Interesting People mailing list archives

NY Daily News Denis Hamill: A liberal dose of facts, Rove

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:15:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John F. McMullen" <observer () westnet com>
Date: July 3, 2005 9:50:11 AM EDT
To: johnmac's living room <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Cc: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Denis Hamill: A liberal dose of facts, Rove

(johnmac -- Denis, you could have said "balls")

From the New York Daily News -- http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/ story/324790p-277605c.html

A liberal dose of facts, Rove
by Denis Hamill

When I first read Karl Rove's recent speech to the New York State Conservative Party at the Sheraton Hotel in Manhattan, the liberal in me wanted to get him some therapy.

But then the Brooklyn in me wanted to throw him a fair one.

Then I figured I should show some restraint before commenting.

My problem is that I'm a liberal from Brooklyn. Which means I turn the other cheek. And then kick you in the unmentionables.

Rove's problem is that he doesn't know jack about "liberals" in the very city where he delivered his punk speech that dishonored the fallen of Ground Zero 3 miles south. As did President Bush's lame "stay the course" pep talk to the nation on Tuesday night, for recycling the same debunked lies trying to connect 9/11 to Iraq.

In the last presidential election, 75% of New York City, where nearly 3,000 people were murdered on 9/11, voted for a "liberal" named John Kerry. They did this not because they thought it would be therapeutic for the terrorists but because they resented the lies coming out of this administration that had given up the search for Osama Bin Laden for a bait-and-switch war on Iraq.

New Yorkers knew Bin Laden was the monster responsible for that act of barbarism in our city, where almost every one of us - liberal, conservative and otherwise - knew someone who'd been killed.

And so on Election Day, we who had trudged in the dust of our dead, who had lived with the bagpipes and the funerals, and who were sick of the lies out of the White House, marched to the polls to vote for a liberal named John Kerry, a decorated war hero.

Last week, Rove visited this city and stood in the Sheraton and said, "Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers. In the wake of 9/11, conservatives believed it was time to unleash the might and power of the United States military against the Taliban."

Total crap.

Every single liberal and conservative I met in post-9/11 New York City from Bayside to Bay Ridge supported the invasion of Afghanistan.

So I challenge Karl Rove to wear his ignorant words on a sandwich board and parade them from the Sheraton Hotel down to Ground Zero and let him sample some wimpy, liberal New York. The only therapy he'd be offered would be physical therapy.

Rove brayed, "It was a time to summon our national will and brandish steel."

Right. And so here in New York City volunteers from every political, ethnic and socioeconomic walk of life descended on Ground Zero to brandish shovels, picks, acetylene torches and backhoes to dig for the lost.

All over "liberal" New York citizens rushed to recruitment stations and grown men and women were called up in the National Guard and reserves.

And yet this rice cake in a suit has the audacity to stand at a podium in this gutsy city and say, "I don't know about you, but moderation and restraint is not what I felt when I watched the twin towers crumble to the ground."

No, what chicken hawk Rove, who avoided the draft during Vietnam, saw was a Bush reelection campaign commercial.

And where did our fearless conservative leaders go on or after 9/11?

Let's see: Bush flew to Omaha! Cheney hid in a hole, like Saddam Hussein. And Karl Rove cooked up a Bush campaign commercial visit to Ground Zero three days after the attack, when the coast was clear.

A popular Republican named Arnold Schwarzenegger would label all that as the actions of "girlie men."

I can tell you where Karl Rove didn't go: He didn't go to Ground Zero to swing a steel pick. If he brandished a steel shovel at the Pentagon, I missed it.

Warmongering Rove also didn't go to a recruitment station to grip the steel stock of an M-16 before catching the next C-130 to Kabul. Or later, Tikrit. Even though the war in Iraq is being fought by troops the same age as Rove, who is 54. Which is the same age as a bus driver from Brooklyn with six grandchildren I wrote about in this space recently who spent the past year in Iraq as an Army reservist.

The only steel Karl Rove brandished since 9/11 has been King George's bloody shilling.

So you can blow into town, the Pearl Harbor of the terror age, and pop off about liberals being wimps, Mr. Rove. But to paraphrase Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca," there are certain New York neighborhoods I wouldn't advise you to invade.

All contents  2005 Daily News, L.P.
*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use
has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The
'johnmacsgroup' Internet discussion group is making it available without
profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of
literary, educational, political, and economic issues, for non-profit
research and educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a
'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of
the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for
purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission
from the copyright owner.

For more information go to:

   "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
   "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    -- Arthur C. Clarke
    "You Gotta Believe" - Frank "Tug" McGraw (1944 - 2004 RIP)
    "To achieve, you need thought. You have to know what you
     are doing and that's real power." -- Ayn Rand

                          John F. McMullen
   johnmac () acm org johnmac () computer org johnmac () m-net arbornet org
                  johnmac () tmail com johnmac () echonyc com
           jmcmullen () monroecollege edu johnmac () alumni iona edu
              ICQ: 4368412 Skype, AIM & Yahoo Messenger: johnmac13
                  http://www.westnet.com/~observer
                 BLOG: http://johnmacrants.blogspot.com/