Interesting People mailing list archives

Creative Commons Humbug says Dvorak

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:16:10 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Nathan Dintenfass"<ndintenfass () nicenet org>
Sent: 21/07/05 1:40:38 PM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Creative Commons Humbug says Dvorak

Call me naive, but I am literally stunned by the extent of the ignorance
displayed by Mr. Dvorak.  You'd think before openly deriding an entire
organization (not to mention personal attacks on Larry Lessig) that an
experienced writer would perhaps do even a modicum of research.

I'm sure most of your readers understand full well that Creative Commons
makes none of the claims Dvorak attributes to them.  Anyone who has
searched for CC-tagged content understands immediately the power and
value of having a standardized licensing mechanism.  Anyone who has
saved themselves countless hours of digging through customized licenses
in order to understand what rights they have to a piece of content
understands the power and value of having a standardized licensing
mechanism.  Anyone who has wanted to forgo some or all of their
copyright privileges in order to let others use their work understands
the value and power of having a standardized licensing mechanism.

Of course, Creative Commons makes the value of their work quite clear on
their web site and in numerous other forums, but Mr. Dvorak has
seemingly decided that a snide article was more interesting than one
that provides some actual insight into the reasons Creative Commons exists.

Hopefully someone more eloquent than I will provide you something to
send back to IP to counter this hatchet job.

  - Nathan

[Message truncated. Tap Edit->Mark for Download to get remaining portion.]