Interesting People mailing list archives

more on US Drops ICANN/DNS Bombshell (on WSIS?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 05:08:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Gerck <egerck () nma com>
Date: July 1, 2005 12:33:40 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] US Drops ICANN/DNS Bombshell (on WSIS?)

David,

Well, there's no surprise here, and never should have been. As I published elsewhere in
April 2000:

"...there is nothing to be gained by opposing ICANN, because ICANN is just the
overseer of problems to which we need a solution.

My point is that there is something basically wrong with the DNS and which precludes a fair solution - as I intend to show in the following text, the DNS design has a single
handle of control which becomes its single point of failure."

But having in the DNS a single point of failure is like having all our eggs in one basket. It creates the kind of risk that, as long as we still have national economies competing against each other, the US government and its major corporate allies will do what ever is necessary to protect from foreign capture. If someone MUST control it, let it be the US in its historical role, is the argument here. Otherwise, one would have
to entertain the possibility that someone ELSE would control it.

See E. *Gerck*, “*Thinking*” in Cook Report On Internet,. ISSN1071-6327, Vol. IX No.1, April 2000, p. 23.

Regards,
Ed Gerck

Begin forwarded message: