Interesting People mailing list archives

more on CASUALTY OF WAR: THE U.S. ECONOMY

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:59:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Date: July 21, 2005 6:24:11 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on CASUALTY OF WAR: THE U.S. ECONOMY

Hey Dave,

My favorite line in the column was this:

"Two years ago, no one expected the war would take this long," said Steven Kosiak, director of budget studies at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. "On a per-troop basis, this war has been far more costly than expected, almost double the estimates.

Um, not true.

In actuality, before the shooting began, several observers made the preliminary assessment that the war would last longer and cost more than we were being led to believe at the time.

Recall that IP ran an excerpt of my Pre-War Analysis from March 19, 2003 (Not-So-Hidden Agenda: Strategic and Economic Assessments of U.S. led Invasion in the Middle East http://bigpicture.typepad.com/ comments/2003/03/notsohidden_age.html)

At the time, we predicted the War in Iraq would last up to 10 years and cost $1 trillion dollars over that decade. Seems that we were a lot closer to the the mark than many people expected.

Regards,

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist
Maxim Group