Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Public Broadband Hits Political Speedbumps

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:35:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 18, 2005 1:00:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Robert Berger' <rberger () ibd com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Public Broadband Hits Political Speedbumps

I hate to repeat myself but perhaps the points are better understood in specific contexts. The goal is not any fixed unit of broadband. We need a sustainable process -- just like the Internet itself which continues to move beyond narrow
specifications. There is no "Internet" just a community.

The problem with a muni service provider is that it shifts the incentives. If you are funding your connectivity with your cable TV business then those who get their content elsewhere are defunding the Internet. Same as VoIP defunding E911.

A second problem is that governments tend to have to over-specify their mission
in order to prevent fraud and other problems but that doesn't work above
fungible bits. It's not just funding but the entire regulatory process. We need
to obviate regulation rather than naively removing.

A big problem is the idea of self-funding which makes sense for cable TV but not for the Internet (or roads or garbage) which is a public good but cannot capture the value in the billing model. This is especially true for connectivity that
enables innovations which aren't initially as "valuable" as a cable TV
subscription. The incentive is for more channels rather than more bits. Sharing with passers by is another issue. Connectivity is for the larger community not
just the residents.

Layer one fails if it has to be self-sustaining.

I'm concerned that efforts like that in Lafayette confuse the agenda and make the Internet another TV channel. The goal is not to defeat the evil carriers but to defeat the business model that requires such extraordinary effort to keep
them alive. Expropriating this model isn't the answer.

And, again http://www.frankston.com/?name=DIYConnectivity

Quibble with terminology -- "End-to-End service provider" is used below in the sense of "Womb-to-Tomb service provider". End to end means the middle doesn't define the contents but I guess we now need to call that Peer-to-Peer via an
unfettered infrastructure.