Interesting People mailing list archives

more on resend Time to switch off and slow down (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:51:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Frode Hegland <frode () hegland com>
Date: July 17, 2005 9:13:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Time to switch off and slow down (fwd)

May I humbly suggest that some of this is in part a failure of the imagination, as is often the case with relatively new media? Why stick with email programs and utilities which are essentially unchanged since the 70s?

How about this, email which does not just 'beep' with every message, so you constantly have to keep checking who is sending you email.

What about a small app which speaks when you get mail, with a real human voice, stating who the message is from? "You have a message from a client" or "You have a reply from your assistant" and keeps quiet with non-useful messages so you will never hear anything like "You have another chain-message-joke from your brother".

In other words, instead of beeps you have to check, or nothing, why not get your email to behave (in a small way) like the 'intelligent' digital assistant we all want?

No, unlike the AI people who say that real intelligent assistants are right around the corner, we can cheat. Today.

Yes, I have such an application, called LiSA. She also works on phones BTW and no, I am not trying to sell this to your guys, just show that other approaches can provide a better information environment. I am happy to provide free serial numbers to all IP'ers. And the phone version is not publicly available yet, but happy to email it to one and all. Anyway, LiSA is available at http:// www.speakingassistant.com

And that was developed by a tiny developer. Imagine what Microsoft, no wait, Apple could do if they weren't so stuck in the current ways of doing things? There is so much more we can do.