Interesting People mailing list archives

more on SOUTHWEST AIRLINES LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 06:39:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: July 16, 2005 8:31:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] SOUTHWEST AIRLINES LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT

It's great fun to recall the history of Love Field itself in all this. Since I was a business reporter in Texas in 1979, Ms. Barrett's note made me was nostalgic.

Back in the 1970s, when Southwest was born, its route system consisted of Houston Hobby (not Intercontinental, now Bush), San Antonio, and Love Field in Dallas.

By running the equivalent of a bus system on this triangular route, Southwest got rich, and never touched the jurisdiction of the FAA, which would have meant greatly increased costs when going interstate.

Southwest did not even begin its nationwide expansion until the era of "airline deregulation," started under Carter CAB head Alfred Kahn (http://www.pbs.org/fmc/timeline/pkahn.htm).

Now, apparently, we've come full circle, with Southwest once again trying to protect Love Field, and expand service there (although since it's so close to city center many urbanites resent the idea). As Ms. Barrett notes, The Wright Amendment (named for powerful Rep. James Wright of Ft. Worth, on the opposite side of the Dallas Metroplex from Love Field) was aimed at curbing Southwest's growth in the Kahn era.

Why the big deal? Because Love Field, like Hobby Airport in Houston, is just a few miles from downtown, while DFW and Houston IAH (Bush) are 30-40 miles from downtown.

Positive: quicker cab rides to your plane.
Negative: big noise in inner-city if Love traffic grows.

Oh, what does this have to do with the Wright Amendment? It was created, in the Kahn era, to restrict Southwest's growth as it tried to expand out-of-state. Ironic that it's still an issue, given how Southwest is Wal-Marting the airline industry under its banner.

But you can't have real fun with news like this until you know (deep Paul Harvey voice) the rest of the story.

Dana Blankenhorn   danablankenhorn () mindspring com
Mooreslore Blog    http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/
ZDNet OpenSource    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php
A-Clue.Com    http://www.a-clue.com dana () a-clue com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>