Interesting People mailing list archives

Disney World requiring fingerprint biometrics of all visitors

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:54:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: July 16, 2005 5:12:21 PM EDT
To: EPIC_IDOF () mailman epic org
Subject: [EPIC_IDOF] Disney World requiring fingerprint biometrics of all visitors

http://www.local6.com/news/4724689/detail.html

Finger Scanning At Disney Parks Causes Concern

POSTED: 5:12 pm EDT July 14, 2005
UPDATED: 10:47 am EDT July 15, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The addition of finger scanning technology at the entrances of Walt Disney World theme parks for all visitors has caused concern among
privacy advocates, according to a Local 6 News report.

I think it's a step in the wrong direction," Civil Liberties Union spokesman
George Crossley said. "I think it is a step toward collection personal
information on people regardless of what Disney says.

Tourists visiting Disney theme parks in Central Florida must now provide
their index and middle fingers to be scanned before entering the front
gates.

The scans were formerly for season pass holders but now everyone must
provide their fingers, Local 6 News reported. They have reportedly been
phased in for all ticket holders during the past six months, according to a
report.

Disney officials said the scans help keep track of who is using legitimate
tickets, Local 6 News reported.

"It is technology reminiscent of "Mission Impossible" or "James Bond," Local 6 News reporter Jessica Sanchez said. "It works by scanning the ridges and
structure of your index finger and middle finger called your finger
geometry."

Disney officials said the finger scans do not take an actual fingerprint. The scan recognizes certain points and outlines visitor's fingers, officials
said.

Critics of the new scanning technology do not agree with Disney and said the
scans border on a violation of privacy.

I think it's a step in the wrong direction," Civil Liberties Union spokesman George Crossley said. "I think it is a step toward collection of personal
information on people regardless of what Disney says."

Crossley said they will be looking into the scans.

"The collecting of this fingertip information and how it is to be used and what the source of that information is as it relates to what it will show --
I don't like it and we will look into it," Crossley said.

The finger scanning began earlier this year at some parks before expanding
to the entire complex, according to a report.

Universal Orlando and SeaWorld also plan to implement similar technology in
the future, Local 6 News reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2005 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights
reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or
redistributed.