Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Long Emergency

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:50:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: July 16, 2005 5:31:14 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Cc: Udhay Shankar N <udhay () pobox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Long Emergency

The article is interesting and does bring up many good points. I agree that its pretty darn sure that we are going to hit lots of problems due to increasing costs of Oil and Natural Gas.

But I don't think its quite as bleak as he says (unless the Un- reality based Neocons stay in power).

For instance, Trains could make a major comeback to handle the transportation load at dramatically lower energy costs than todays air and truck transport. We aren't going to run out of energy overnight and rebuilding a train network wouldn't be all that hard if we don't wait too long.

Then there could also be other technologies that can do major transportation of goods at much lower costs such as airships. These could be built at very low cost (comparatively) and could take advantage of hydrogen production as a lift gas. (I know every one will instantly think of the Hindenburg, but the German Zeppelins were not designed for using hydrogen. There are ways of doing this pretty safely).

A lot of what needs to happen to make our lives more energy efficient will happen through market forces as the price of gas goes up. This could even include the eventual devolution of Suburbia.

The worse thing we could do is to artificially hold back the price of oil. The most that should happen is to try to smooth out spikes, but let it be known far and wide that Oil and its related products will just keep getting more expensive.

We need to make is so that ex-Oil executives (particularly incompetent and previously unsuccessful oil executives) are not running the country.

Rob