Interesting People mailing list archives

Vodafone Blocks VoIP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:02:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: July 15, 2005 5:28:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Vodafone Blocks VoIP

* David Farber:

Good news: Vodafone Germany is dramatically increasing the amount of
mobile data users can send and receive, says Arne Hess, in a post.
Bad news: Vodafone is blocking independent VoIP providers. Hess
notes: "I have no idea yet how they do it in detail, but I can
imagine they've started to block typical VoIP ports."

Dave, for IP if you wish.

In Germany, UMTS typically has round-trip times around 700 ms (of
which 300 ms are related to the way the WCDMA protocol is used,
AFAIK).  With these performance characteristics, I doubt that Vodafone
needs to set up any filters to discourage customers from using VoIP.

An alternative version of this story is making rounds which gives the
impression that Vodafone is blocking voice calls which are terminated
at VoIP providers.  However, this seems to be a warped version of the
first story.