Interesting People mailing list archives

more on todays wp - for IP - role of innovation in making economycompetitive,finland; contrast us trends

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:19:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "John Kemp"<frumioj () mac com>
Sent: 14/07/05 10:53:25 AM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] todays wp - for IP - role of innovation in making economycompetitive,finland; contrast us trends

Hi,

The USA doesn't actually do so badly in such an environment, if you
consider the ease of creating a startup company in the US compared to
pretty much anywhere else in the world. Innovation is much better funded
here than any figure talking about "investment in R&D" might indicate.
In my experience at least, venture capitalists invest in innovative
companies - certainly those likely to make money (one day) - but
companies that tend have good new ideas. This amounts to informal
research and development (and I imagine doesn't count in any official
figure). The difference seems to be that in Finland, the government has
directly helped growth of R&D, and in the US, R&D is only indirectly
aided by the government (at the very least in that the goverment
supports and helps maintain an open market).

Cheers,

- JohnK

David Farber wrote:

Time to learn Finish