Interesting People mailing list archives

why am I not surprised djf Cingular customer service, SMS, GPRS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:44:38 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Robert Bryce <robert () robertbryce com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:05:46 -0600
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Cingular customer service, SMS, GPRS

Dave,
This message is right on target. I just moved from Sprint to Cingular
-- in order to obtain lower rates from SBC on my DSL connection -- and
have found Cingular's tech support/customer support to be several miles
past awful.
I started with a Motorola V551 and after ten days, sent it back and
switched to a Nokia 3120. ($99 for the V551 versus free for the Nokia).
Getting the switch done took me no less than 90 minutes on the phone
with Cingular people and each customer service rep I talked to was less
informed than the previous one.
Got the Nokia but it wouldn't work. Another hour on the phone with tech
support getting the right code plugged in.
Now, after just a week, the Nokia has quit working altogether. No
reason. No warning. Just dead. Spent an hour on the phone -- with four
different people -- this morning trying to get them to send me a new
phone. (this one is still under warranty). I gave up after an hour
because I had an appointment.
It'll take another hour (at least) on the phone tomorrow to get it
worked out.
Further, after signing a contract, Cingular tells me I can't use my new
GSM phone (if it worked, that is) to get my Powerbook to access the Web
unless I pay extra for it -- by using cingular's GPRS system. Rate is
one cent per kilobit. There is no way, Cingular says, to use the phone
as you would an ordinary dial up modem. (Presumably at slower speed
than GPRS). Thus, those 5000 minutes of nights and weekend time --
which I thought would be perfect to use as dial up modem minutes when I
travel -- are useless.
Therein lies the irony. Call it the Feature Curse. All these new phones
  have increasing levels of features and apparent functionality but
their actual usability (ease of use, lower costs for each bit of data
or voice, ability to avoid unwanted solicitations from SMS or phone
calls) is declining. Oh, and customer service. Sadly, when it comes to
Cingular, that is a complete oxymoron.
Now pardon me while I call Sprint -- maybe they'll take me back.
best
rb

Robert Bryce
Austin, TX 78704