Interesting People mailing list archives

more on SFGate: VERISIGN/On the Record: Stratton Sclavos

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:30:35 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ben Edelman <edelman () law harvard edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:46:54 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on SFGate: VERISIGN/On the Record: Stratton Sclavos

Dave --

Sclavos' spyware complaints are particularly puzzling because VeriSign
profits from the spyware problem, via Verisign's "code signing" digital
signatures for ActiveX controls.

Recall that, for a recent version of Internet Explorer to prompt a user to
accept an ActiveX auto-installer (via a "drive-by" popup shown as users
browse web pages in IE's Internet zone) [1], the ActiveX's CAB file (a
compressed installation bundle, like a ZIP) must be digitally signed. [2]
For fees of $400 and up, Verisign issues the digital certificates necessary
to sign such CABs. [3]

Verisign's customers then go on to use these certificates in exceptionally
misleading ways, including: 1) Attempting to install software as users view
unrelated sites.  2) Interspersing their software installation attempts with
JavaScript popups claiming "You must click yes to continue" and similar.  3)
Showing misleading product names that state or imply that their software is
necessary, when it is not.  4) Showing lengthy, incomplete, confusing or
misleading licenses, or no licenses at all.

VeriSign could stop or reduce these problems by refusing to issue digital
certificates to known bad actors, and/or by revoking certificates of those
revealed to be bad actors.  They would drive some of the bad guys' business
to other digital certificate firms (like Thawte), but they'd no longer be
suppliers to spyware providers.  That'd be a good first step in earning back
a bit of users' trust.

Ben

[1] see e.g. <http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/gator-driveby.png>,
<http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/images/odysseus-011105.png>,