Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Book Ban

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:43:19 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: <EEkid () aol com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:48:10 -0500 (EST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Book Ban

Mr. Farber,

I received the banned book "America" as a Christmas gift from my teenaged
niece.  It's packed with delightfully witty satire.  It does have 9 small
nude images of US supreme court judges on page 99.  By small, they're
approximately 2 1/2 inches in height.  No where else in the book did I
notice any other nude images.

When I read that the book contains pornography or is compared to
pornography, I have to laugh and wonder if any of those making these claims
have ever read the definition of the word.

"Pornography: Sexually explicit pictures, writing, or other material whose
primary purpose is to cause sexual arousal." (Dictionary.com)

Trust me, there is nothing about those images of our aging Supreme Court
Justices which fits the above definition.

The book contains material that is politically incorrect, and pokes a great
deal of fun at US elected officials and their behavior.  If you're in need
of a good laugh, I highly recommend it.

When I see people determined to find fault with such politically satirical
writing, it makes me wonder if they have ulterior motives.

Jerry Ballman

------ End of Forwarded Message