Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AT&T Wireless vs. Cingular text message charges

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:43:04 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:20:43 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: AT&T Wireless vs. Cingular text message charges

Dave,

Given what it costs the carriers to send and receive domestic SMS
text messages (practically nothing), text messages are one of the
biggest ripoffs in telecommications.  It's worth noting that former
AT&T Wireless customers are (under all plans that I'm aware of
anyway) *not* charged for receiving text messages, only for sending
(so long as they are still on their AT&T calling plans).

I just spoke to a Cingular rep (after going through the usual
ballyhoo to reach a human) who confirmed that so long as former AT&T
Wireless customers stay on their current AT&T Wireless plans, they
still are not charged for incoming text messages by Cingular.
However, if they switch to a Cingular plan, the Cingular incoming
text message charges would apply.

So many former AT&T Wireless subs may wish to sit tight for now.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

 - - -

I completely agree. With SMS spam starting the notion of receiver being
charged is even MORE insane. I intend to protest each and ever spam sms I
receive as a illegitimate change

We can sink them in overhead

Dave