Interesting People mailing list archives

( A problem in American democracy djf) U.S. students say press freedoms go too far

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:50:44 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Denise Caruso <caruso () hybridvigor org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:37:59 -0800
To: <farber () dsl cis upenn edu>
Subject: U.S. students say press freedoms go too far

Dear Dave,

Ruh-roh.  For IP if you'd like.

Denise

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-01-30-students-press_x.htm

U.S. students say press freedoms go too far
By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY

One in three U.S. high school students say the press ought to be more
restricted, and even more say the government should approve newspaper
stories before readers see them, according to a survey being released
today.

The survey of 112,003 students finds that 36% believe newspapers
should get "government approval" of stories before publishing; 51%
say they should be able to publish freely; 13% have no opinion.

Asked whether the press enjoys "too much freedom," not enough or
about the right amount, 32% say "too much," and 37% say it has the
right amount. Ten percent say it has too little.

The survey of First Amendment rights was commissioned by the John S.
and James L. Knight Foundation and conducted last spring by the
University of Connecticut. It also questioned 327 principals and
7,889 teachers.

The findings aren't surprising to Jack Dvorak, director of the High
School Journalism Institute at Indiana University in Bloomington.
"Even professional journalists are often unaware of a lot of the
freedoms that might be associated with the First Amendment," he says.

The survey "confirms what a lot of people who are interested in this
area have known for a long time," he says: Kids aren't learning
enough about the First Amendment in history, civics or English
classes. It also tracks closely with recent findings of adults'
attitudes.

"It's part of our Constitution, so this should be part of a formal
education," says Dvorak, who has worked with student journalists
since 1968.

Although a large majority of students surveyed say musicians and
others should be allowed to express "unpopular opinions," 74% say
people shouldn't be able to burn or deface an American flag as a
political statement; 75% mistakenly believe it is illegal.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 1989 ruled that burning or defacing a flag
is protected free speech. Congress has debated flag-burning
amendments regularly since then; none has passed both the House and
Senate.

Derek Springer, a first-year student at Ivy Tech State College in
Muncie, Ind., credits his journalism adviser at Muncie Central High
School with teaching students about the First Amendment, which
guarantees freedom of speech, press and religion.

Last year, Springer led a group of student journalists who exposed
payments a local basketball coach made to players for such things as
attending practices and blocking shots. The newspaper also questioned
requirements that students register their cars with the school to get
parking passes.

Because they studied the First Amendment, he says, "we know that we
can publish our opinion, and that we might be scrutinized, but we
know we didn't do anything wrong."
--
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
                                                -- Philo of Alexandria

Denise Caruso
http://hybridvigor.org

------ End of Forwarded Message