Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Research under fire?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:01:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:20:14 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Research under fire?

The practical effect of putting roadblocks in front of research is not to
preserve security, but to accelerate the move of leading edge
research to other countries.

The xenophobia and paranoia of our government is undermining its own
security.

But let me put this in a more practical way.

The NY Times story on breaking cryptography that came in just before this
one. (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/29/national/29key.html?oref=login) It
is a VERY short step from what is being done to researchers and using
"national security" as an excuse to prohibit the publication of this story.

Forget about right or wrong for a moment. I'm ot arguing that.

The point is a practical one. Putting roadblocks in front of knowledge
doesn't stop it from coming about -- it moves offshore.

We were lucky in the Cold War. The enemy was even more xenophobic and stupid
than we are.

Will we be that lucky this time? Yes, against Muslims.

But the "enemy" in the current conflict isn't just the Muslims in Iraq or
anywhere else. It's the Indians, the Europeans, the Japanese, the Chinese.
It's an economic war which you can only lose if you don't play. And moves
like this represent unilateral disarmament in that war.

Dana Blankenhorn   danablankenhorn () mindspring com
Mooreslore Blog    http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/
ZDNet OpenSource    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php
A-Clue.Com    http://www.a-clue.com dana () a-clue com