Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Caution suggested during NSF "virus scans"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:15:13 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joe Touch <touch () ISI EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:44:23 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Caution suggested during NSF "virus scans"

David Farber wrote:
------ Forwarded Message
From: George Sadowsky <George.Sadowsky () internews org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:02:15 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Caution suggested during NSF "virus scans"

Dave,

For IP if you like ...

The National Science Foundation now has a policy that if you visit
their building in Ballston and if you have a laptop with you, you
must have it "scanned for viruses" even if you don't plan to open it
up.

I carry a Mac G4 15" Powerbook running OS 10.3.6.  I've gone through
this process twice at NSF.  The first "scan" appeared to consist of a
staff member seeing my anti-virus program and recording my MAC
addresses (Ethernet and wireless), possibly for retroactive diagnosis
in the event of problems.

They seemed not to know that MAC addresses are configurable. When they
asked mine, I asked them to tell me what they wanted it to be ;-) They
seemed very surprised that it wasn't fixed.

FWIW, IMO, having a third party run software on your laptop IS a virus.

Joe

------ End of Forwarded Message