Interesting People mailing list archives

Editorial - DSL Prime

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:17:50 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Frank Muto <info () ISPNETWORKS ORG>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:35:08 -0500
To: <CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM>
Subject: Editorial - DSL Prime

I felt this was an interesting editorial by Dave Burstein in the DSL Prime
newsletter.

Editorial: Throw sand in the revolving door

Two more, this time Democrats
Officials continue to turn into lobbyists at an alarming rate. Gregg
Rothschild, key aide to Democrat John Dingell, is becoming a lobbyist for
Verizon. Before Dingell, he was John Kerry's telecom aide. Rothschild took
the Dingell job in 2003, replacing Andrew Levin, who in turn had left to
lobby for Clear Channel. David Svanda,  former Michigan Commissioner, is
persuasively arguing on behalf of the AT&T backed VON Coalition. Svanda
earned respect for promoting competition in Michigan and leadership among
state regulators as President of NARUC. They join a long list, including far
too many FCC officials, who went directly into well paid jobs influencing
their former colleagues.

      Does the prospect of such lucrative careers influence the decisions of
even ethical officials? Did they modify their actions in the preceding year,
wondering if they were affecting their chances of a job? I have no reason to
speak ill of either Rothschild of Svanda, both considered ethical. But I
know how I am constantly pulled, having to report the news about advertisers
that pay my rent, and think top officials do not need their consciences
challenged by equivalent temptation if avoidable.

   EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes has promised not to return to
business after her service. That's a bit easier for a wealthy woman at
retirement age, but I think most possible commissioners could commit to
doing something other than lobbying for a few years without "putting their
family's future in jeopardy." Even if D.C. regulatory lawyers take a pass,
their are plenty of wall street analysts, entrepreneurs like Jeff Pulver,
university professors like Dave Farber and Dave Clark, and others, including
current staffers, well qualified for the posts. I've also mentioned folks
like Bill Smith, Bellsouth CTO, as an example of a qualified candidate who
even if he returns to the Bell would not be severely handicapped by a
restriction that he could not lobby.

Frank Muto
President/Ceo
FSM Marketing Group, Inc.
Co-founder -  Washington Bureau for ISP Advocacy - WBIA
www.wbia.us

------ End of Forwarded Message