Interesting People mailing list archives

WSJ Poll on soon to be ex-Chairman Powell

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:18:55 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:10:02 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: WSJ Poll on soon to be ex-Chairman Powell

Hey Dave,

By now, everyone knows that FCC Chair Michael Powell announced his
resignation yesterday, effective in March of this year. In addition to
reporting on the event, the Wall Street Journal ran an online poll on the
Chairman's tenure.

WSJ subscribers can see the results here:
http://discussions.wsj.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=wsjvoices&tid=3404&vote=5
&submit=Vote

I took a quick screen shot of the poll results -- if you don't have a WSJ
subscription, you can see the results here:
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/01/wsj_poll_gives_.html

Surprisingly, the typically conservative WSJ readers overwhelmingly gave the
deregulator turned crusading moralist an "F."  Over half gave him very poor
marks --  39% of the over 1000 voters gave the Chairman a failing grade
--twice as many who gave him an "A" -- while 18% awarded him a "D."

While these polls are notoriously unscientific, I was surprised to see over
half (57%) of the voting WSJ readerswere apparently none to impressed with
the Chairman.

Regards,

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist
Maxim Group
405 Lexington Avenue,
New York, NY 10174
(212) 895-3614
The Big Picture: Macro perspectives on the Capital Markets, Economy, and
GeopoliticsĀ
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments

------ End of Forwarded Message