Interesting People mailing list archives

more on increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails be next?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:36:23 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jason Weisberger <jweisberger () mac com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:21:42 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails
be next?)

Dave,

This kind of commentary just isn't helpful. If people are really
concerned with the, seemingly in this thread, draconian activity of the
TSA - why don't we see some activist groups protesting and attempting
to force them to abide by the regulations that govern them? I searched
Google and didn't see any...

Comparisons, by the gentleman who works at a company named Brandenburg,
that somehow the TSA is the equivalent to an Einsatzkommando is a bit
much for me. There is a clear need for airport security and while ours
may be flawed, it certainly isn't a horrible crime against humanity
that people are limited from bringing allen keys onto airplanes when a
TSA employee is alert enough to see them.

For people who are concerned about what they are and are not permitted
to bring on an airplane, in regulations created by our elected
Government, they provide a nice URL:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=09000519800720a4

I haven't seen the regulations posted at EVERY airport, but I do see
them posted - in the form of picture representations of certain items
with graphics clearly expressing their prohibited nature - at a few;
Oakland comes to mind.

I mean, seriously, I don't love our current government - but I'm having
a hard time drawing tangents between the SS and the TSA. Comments like
that both cloud the picture by creating imaginary connections and
demean the very necessary point regarding what happens when you do not
pay attention to extremist groups looking to do wrong. The TSA guards
appear, to me, mostly  a bunch of people trying to earn a buck and
follow some arbitrary rules. I don't sense any dedication, when I go
through security, of hardened defenders of what is right. I've had
conversations with them regarding items they wanted to confiscate and
it was quickly elevated to supervisors;  a decision was made by someone
as educated and as thoughtful as the paltry salary can command. We
aren't hiring our best and brightest, we're putting automatons in place
to push a button, glance at a screen and wand people through.  I am
sure the TSA tries to get as much critical thought as you can from them
- but really, what can you expect?

So - maybe we're under paying these people and not getting the customer
service and critical thought we'd like from airport screeners  - but a
group of authority abusing, mass murdered doesn't seem to be forming
behind the metal detectors just yet.

Jason Weisberger